I've done it. I've finally done it! I've FINALLY finished the base designs for the first of my 2 factions for this game. Honestly I had my doubts that I could pull it off, since I have next to no artistic skills, but lo and behold, the Artificial Angels are now well on their way to descending upon the battlefield. I still have to do the animations though, so they're not complete yet... But for now, here's a preview of the units and structures.
A downloadable game for Windows
Core Stratagem is an old-school turn-based indie strategy game. Choose one of eight unique factions and conquer your enemies, using terrain to your advantage and capturing your opponents' cities. Steal and finish their incomplete units to turn their production against them. Make use of stealth to launch surprise attacks, and when all else fails, detonate a kamikaze unit in the midst of their armies.
Core Stratagem supports user-created units, armies, and maps. Use the included map editor to create your own custom scenarios. Choose from tons of options to customize your play experience, including bonuses and handicaps for each player to create just the challenge you want.
- EIGHT unique factions:
- Modern Military - A flexible, well-rounded army with tanks, aircraft carriers, and nuke-drones!
- Savage Saurians - Stealthy and swift dinosaur-like creatures from a forgotten time!
- Interplanetary Invaders - Powerful alien technology dominates the skies, but their soldiers must resupply the gas they breathe!
- Feudal Fantasy - A land-focused set of knights, siege towers, and just a touch of magic!
- Alternate Army - From another place, or another world? A twist on a present-day army theme, with specialized units like sub-hunter choppers and anti-air cannon!
- Wily Wizards - Glass-cannon mages protected by hardy stone gargoyle minions!
- Deepwater Denizens - Terrors from the deep, their amphibious units can leave the seas for a limited time, and act differently depending on their environment!
- Hostile Habiformers - Robotic survivors of an alien colonization program, they exist only to make the Earth habitable for their masters--even though their masters are long dead!
Try out the free demo! It is restricted to two of the Factions and does not include Expansion features like base expansion structures.
Want to make your own Units or even whole new Factions? Check out this how-to guide!
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $1 USD. You will get access to the following files:
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
That takes some dedication! Animations are definitely the most time consuming parts of creating a CS army. A few pieces of advice: whenever possible, "animate" by selecting part of your unit and just dragging it around. For example, grab one of your hydra's heads halfway down the neck, move the selection a pixel to the left or right, and then make similar adjustments throughout the rest of the unit. This strategy is especially useful for making death animations since the unit is basically collapsing.
Looking forward to seeing things come together! Keep up the good work!
I still have some issues on Linux. I got error saying cities.txt could not be found. So I checked the file and it appeared to be Cities.txt. After renaming it I got pass the first error. Then I got stuck with another error. It looks like case of filename didn't match again.
Unfortunately CS doesn't officially support Linux -- some interesting information you've found here, though! Odd that that text file would have its capitalization changed. Maybe check the images folder for similar changes. No filenames should have caps in them anywhere.
I'm assuming you're running the demo, but if you did purchase CS let me know your email and I'll refund you.
Thanks. I did purchase it but I don't need a refund. I have Windows 10 / Linux Mint (XFCE) dual boot on my laptop. But I prefer to work on Linux so I tried to make it work.
I got it to run succesfully now. Here is what i did:
- Install Java 8 runtime (Java 11 won't work)
- rename "./images/city.PNG" to "./images/city.png"
- rename "./data/Cities.txt" to "./data/cities.txt"
I'm happy now and looking forward to your next game ;)
The game won't start on Java 11 but run fine on Java 8. Here is the error output:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sun/java/swing/Painter
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.sun.java.swing.Painter
... 12 more
I'm assuming from your other comment that this is on Linux? Windows is the only OS supported (although it can run, with some visual bugs related to zooming, on Mac as well.)
Bro, if you polished this off and added some features like online multiplayer, you could really have something here. It’s like a combination of Civilization and Advanced Wars, genius.
I know 4-5 people off the top of my head that would pay way more than $1 for this if we were able to have online matches. Great work, thoroughly enjoying it.
Hey there, I came across your game and have played it for a bit; I think it's a pretty cool game. Would you mind if I made some YouTube videos on it? It seems you're the only one who has, and I feel this game deserves some attention.